Monday, October 4, 2010

Fear versus Knowledge


I started tutor training two weeks ago. My boss, J, wanted me to start blogging about my experience. I started late with the blogging because I honestly did not know what to say. J said, "You could start writing the blog before the training starts, write about what your expectations are." But I really did not know what to expect. I know how I felt which was scared and excited. I am not a teacher and I never graduated from college and aside from teaching my children the basics of life I have never really taught anyone anything. Tutoring seemed so elusive to me. As with most things in my life however, I decided I was not going to let my fear keep me from trying.

So training started on a Tuesday night, and I went with my mind open to the trainers. One of the first things trainer S said has stuck with me like a permanent post it note: "If you can read, you can teach someone to read, if you can speak English, you can teach someone to speak English.” AMAZING! How simple. I like simple thoughts that make sense and this thought resonated with me instantly. Second thing I learned that first night: We don't have to be perfect, we may be the only chance these adults have to learn, we are good enough because we took the time and are willing to be there with them. Another simple but profound thought. Thank goodness for my trainers who probably could see the uncertainty in our faces, and knew just what to say to help us un-cloud our minds.

Talking with some of the other tutor trainees was really encouraging for me. No matter the reason that brought us all there, we all shared one desire: to help someone learn to read and write English. It was both humbling and empowering to be with these very smart and capable people all learning at the same time. I left feeling certain that I could handle this journey, I left unafraid and still excited!

2 comments:

Tia said...

You are the rockin-est, Brenda. I wish I could learn to read from you.

Unknown said...

Brenda, I am very familiar with the fear/excitement that you write of- I feel it every new school year, when I am reminded of the overwhelming & awesome task before me as I prepare to meet each new group of students. It sounds like you are off to a great start, though, and that you have some wonderful trainers. It is very freeing when we realize that we don't have to be perfect- and good to be reminded of it when we forget! So, thank you for that. I look forward to reading about the rest of your journey as a tutor!